‘Bouillabaisse seafood soup’ A menu of French style. From ‘Catch Beach Club’ in Twinpalms Phuket Resort
- 1 large leek, green part coarsely chopped and white part cut tnto 1/4-inch pieces
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic clovers, smashed
- ¼ teaspoon crumbled saffron threads
- 2 bay leaves (not California)
- 1 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1 ¼ lb plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 3tablespoons canned tomato puree
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 ½ qt white fish stock
- 1 (8-to 9-inch) unsliced round or oval pain au levain or sourdough loaf (1 lb), crust discarded
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 lb skinned white fish fillets such as halibut, snapper, and/or bass, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups rouille1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Wash Green and white parts of leek separately in a bowl of cold water, then lift out with a slotted spoon and pat dry. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a 6-quart heavy pot over moderate heat until hot but not smoking,
then cook leek greens, onion, celery, and carrots, stirring, 3 minutes. Add saffron, bay leaves, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add fresh tomatoes and tomato puree and cook, stirring, 4 minutes. Add wine and simmer, uncovered, until liquid is reduce by about half, 30 minutes. Carefully pour through a fine sieve into a bowl, then discard solids.
Prepare croutes White broth simmers:
Preheat oven to 300 °F
Heat a well-seasoned ridged grill pan over moderately high heat until hot. Brush bread with remaining 2 tablespoons oil, then grill on all sides until grill marks appear. Tear bread into rough 3-inch pieces and bake on a baking sheet in middle of oven until crisp outside but soft inside. About 10 minutes. Cool croutes.
Heat Butter in a 4-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat until foam subsides, then cook white part of leek, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add fish, hot broth, and salt and bring to a simmer (fish will be cooked through). Remove from heat and stir in ½ cup rouille.
Put croutes in soup plates and ladle soup over. Sprinkle with oregano and parsley and serve remaining rouille on the side.
Cook&apos note: Broth can be made 2 days ahead and cooled, uncovered, then chilled, covered. Reheat broth before adding to white part of leek along with fish and rouille.